Saturday, February 19, 2011

How's your burger?



Emily and I ate at Twisted Root the other day in Fairview and it got me thinking about my favorite burger places in the Lone Star State, and how funny the 'how's your burger' line is in Dumb and Dumber. Here are a few of my favorites:


1.) Mel's Country Cafe - My hometown of Tomball, TX boasts my favorite burger, and is ranked in the top 5 on Texas Burger Guy and one of the Top 50 Burgers in Texas Monthly. If you eat the Mega Mel burger you get to write your name on the wall, and it's no small accomplishment.

The Mega Mel Burger
1.5 pounds of fresh ground beef
1 pound of bacon
.25 pound of American cheese
lots, lots of lettuce, tomatoes, onions & pickles


This place has a lot of great food besides the burgers, my favorite is the chicken tenders, which can feed a family of 4. http://www.melscountrycafe.com/

2.) Roznovsky's Hamburgers - 3401 W. T. C. Jester Blvd, Houston, TX 77018 - If you live in H-Town you have to check out Roznovsky's. The founder was an All-American baseball player for UT back in the 70's. The review on http://www.texasburgerguy.com/ isn't that good, but if you are a Czech guy like me it's a right of passage!


3.) Twisted Root Burger Co - Ranked # 14 in Texas Monthly's Top 50 Texas Burgers, and the only burger place I know that has a pastry chef to help with their menu. Usually a restaurant asks you for your name, and then calls it when the order is ready. Not at Twisted Root, they give you a famous name, for example, Austin Powers or Michael Jordan. They have 5 DFW area locations, including their newest one in Fairview. http://twistedrootburgerco.com/


4.) Burger place in Austin - Sadly I cannot remember the name of this burger place, but I remember eating there at 2:00 a.m. many times in college after going out on 6th street. I'm not sure if it's because it was 2:00 a.m., but they had a great burger. It was downtown somewhere near the UT campus, just north of the basketball arena. Truly I cannot remember the name, but it was great.

5.) Mooyah Burgers & Fries - I asked Emily if she had one meal left on this earth (and it was a hamburger) where would she go? She said Mooyah burger, a great 'build it' burger place with several locations in the DFW and Houston areas, as well as a few locations in Tennessee and California now. Mooyah gives you about 650 toppings to choose from on your burger, and their large fry is enough for 4 people. - http://www.mooyah.com/

Honorable Mention

Check out Emily's business http://www.shoppickledlily.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment