Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A little update on the two lovebirds...we were the ones that started this blog to begin with right?

I know I give monthly updates on Charlotte but I thought maybe I should write some about what's going on with the adults in this house. Fall has quickly arrived and I cannot believe that we are already halfway through October.  This is my absolute favorite time of year.  The weather feels great (supposed to be cooler right?), the leaves change colors (well in some states they do), and best of all...Fall decorations!  It has been a lot of fun decorating our new house this year.  Last weekend we went to the pumpkin patch and bought pumpkins (duh) and then Dan picked up some mums at the store for our front porch.  I love having a porch full of pumpkins even though I cringe every year when November passes and I end up just throwing them away.  It seems like such a waste but I don't know what to do with them.
Our front porch
I'm officially addicted to running and I'm really enjoying training for the half marathon.  I found an awesome group to run with and it has made it so much easier!  Two months ago when I started training I could barely run a minute without feeling winded and now I can breeze through 3 miles with it feeling like a warm up.  I still have 6 weeks until the half marathon and I am no where near running 13.1 miles yet, but I'm determined to do this!  I actually really look forward to my runs each week and I get excited about adding mileage to my long runs.  

Last weekend I made a trip out to California to visit Kade and his girlfriend Maren.  For the first time I went by myself and it was so fun. I told them that I just wanted to relax and that I didn't want them to think I needed to be entertained.  I took a nap, I read a book, we went to Trader Joe's (amazing!), we rode bikes everywhere (including a bar) and just took it easy.  It was an amazing, relaxing weekend and I can't wait to go back to visit.  I missed Dan and Charlotte a ton but they had fun without me I'm sure.  We did a lot of Facetime and picture texts to keep me in the loop.
Kade, Maren and I at Kade's birthday dinner
Bike Riding!
Dan is super busy as usual with work and spending time with us.  He is in a new position at work and for the first time is managing a team of people.  He really enjoys it and I always tease him when he's working late at night that he's probably so excited to be working at that moment because he loves his job so much.  I think for all parents it is a struggle to maintain a healthy work/life balance but that is something that Dan and I work really hard at doing.  We also try to spend time with each other and just slow down.  Between our parents and an awesome babysitter that lives down the street we are still able to have monthly date night.  

My mom got married a couple of weeks ago and we did a dinner at our house last weekend to celebrate their marriage.  After the dinner we lit our fire pit for the first time and roasted s'mores.  As I sat outside by the fire with a s'more and a glass of wine I was reminded why Dan and I love this house so much.  We can host a lot of people of all ages and we have things for everyone to do and enjoy.  I can't wait for it to get cooler so we can light the fire again!
John and Darlene with Charlotte
Thanksgiving we are taking our first long road trip with Charlotte and driving up to Colorado to visit Dan's parents.  Charlotte is always really great in the car so hopefully she will be for 12 hours...I'm nervous about this drive but it will be worth it.

Happy Fall everyone!   I'm off to light my spice candles and make pumpkin bread and pretend it's cool outside. 

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment